The Glenfarclas distillery is one of the most legendary distilleries in Speyside. It was founded by Robert Hay in 1836, only to be acquired by John and George Grant in 1865 for 511 pounds and 19 shillings. After a brief period leasing the distillery to Glenlivet’s John Smith, the Grants began running the distillery again in 1870. It has remained with the Grant family ever since. The distillery itself is located in Banffshire, not far from the River Spey, and there its 28 warehouses hold around 52,000 casks of maturing whisky. The distillery expanded after the Second World War, doubling its stills to four, and in 1972 the in-house maltings were no longer sufficient to meet demand, and so malt was bought in to supplement the distillery’s own. Thanks to top quality sherry casks, Glenfarclas is known as a rich, sherried, malty whisky with a great deal of flavour.