Caol Ila was built in 1846 at the north of Islay. It was founded by Hector Henderson and sits at Port Askaig right on the sea, overlooking the Paps of Jura. In 1852, the distillery was sold to Norman Buchanan. After he had financial troubles, Caol Ila was sold to Bulloch, Lade and Co a blending company from Glasgow. They went into liquidation and the distillery was bought up by DCL and later transferred to Scottish Malt Distillers (now a part of Diageo). Today, Caol Ila produces around 3.65 million litres per year, most of which is used in Diageo's blends - particularly Johnnie Walker. Single malt whisky from the distillery is known for its oily, smoky flavour.