The Bruichladdich distillery was built in 1881 by Barnett Harvey. Over the 20th century, the distillery was passed down to Barnett's son William, and it was eventually sold to Joseph Hobbs in 1937. It remained silent for the Second World War, before reopening and growing in the period after that. The in-house maltings were shut down in 1961, with malt then trucked in from Islay's Port Ellen maltings, and thanks to an increase in business, a further pair of stills were built in 1975.The distillery was later bought by Whyte and Mackay, and then sold to Invergordon Distillers in 1993. It was shut down in 1995 before being purchased and reinstated by Murray McDavid in 2000. Today, the distillery is run by Jim McEwan, a former manager from Bowmore. He uses all manner of different peating levels and maturation casks and the result is a very interesting whisky with a cult-like following.