Ardmore was built by Adam Teacher in 1898, and it is located just by Knockandy Hill nearby the railway line to Aberdeen. The distillery was built with the sole intention of producing whisky for the Teacher's blend, and it is one of the largest distilleries in Scotland, distilling mostly peated whisky. It was one of the last distilleries in Scotland to use coal-fired stills, but eventually converted to steam in 2003. Two years later, the distillery was bought by Beam Global and the production capacity was later increased from 3 to 5.1 million litres per year. In 2007, the first official release came from the distillery in the form of Ardmore Traditional, a bourbon-matured, quarter cask-finished whisky. Independent releases also flaunt the smoky, peaty character, quite at odds with the fact it is a Speyside distillery!